By Lisa Punter
Career Coach and PDI Coordinator
What is the importance of National Career Development Month you might ask? The answer: to bring awareness of the importance of committing to life-long career development. Managing your career is an ongoing process, which requires a person to reflect on where they are in the present and where they want to be in the future. In the Career and Professional Development Center, our goal is to develop UB students to become Expert Career Managers where students take ownership and learn how to create opportunities for themselves. The CPDC is staffed with certified career facilitators who assist, support and provide resources pertaining to the Career Cycle. There are a number of steps you can take now, while you’re still in school, to position yourself well for your future job search. Consider engaging in some of the following activities:
• Review the status of your network and commit to connecting with a professional contact either in person or through social media such as LinkedIn.
• Update your resume and cover letter and have your documents critiqued by a career coach in the CPDC.
• Join an on-campus organization or a professional association to develop connections and network within your field of interest.
• If you are in job search mode, compile a list of common interview questions, create answers that will differentiate you from other applicants, and practice with a friend, career coach, or interview stream.
• Participate in career development workshops offered by the Career and Professional Development Center.
During the month of November, the CPDC will sponsor activities and events to promote that include the following:
LinkedIn Photo shoot will provide students with a professional headshot of themselves to display on their LinkedIn profile. No appointment is necessary and professional attire required. Nov. 19, 1-5 p.m.
Be Ready Workshop – are a workshop series offered on various career development topics including Writing An Effective Resume and Cover Letter, Ten Steps to Federal Employment and Success On The Job just to name a few. Nov. 19, 5:45-7 p.m.
Additional events in November and December can be found on the Events page of the Career and Professional Development Center webpage through UB Works and the campus calendar.